What is Kali NetHunter?
To begin with, Kali NetHunter is the first Open Source Android penetration testing platform by Offensive Security and the community and it comes with an Android ROM overlay which together forms a powerful Mobile Penetration Testing suite. The overlay (one of two or more pieces of code that can be loaded to a per-determined memory region on demand at run-time.) includes a custom kernel, a Kali Linux Chroot, and an accompanying Android application, that provides smooth interaction with various pen-testing tools and attacks. It comes with all pen-testing tools available within Kali Linux. Basically, it converts your phone into an ultimate hack tool, using which you can hack WiFi or Facebook or literally anything. Apart from that NetHunter also has other interesting functionalities like HID Keyboard Attacks, BadUSB attacks, Evil AP MANA attacks, etc.
Availability Of Kali NetHunter
Kali NetHunter is officially available for devices like Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, Nexus 10 or OnePlus One and the good thing is that it is available for free with well-documented installation instructions and support. In case if you do not have the above-listed devices do not worry, many custom built Kali NetHunter ROMs are available for popular devices and you can even build one yourself. For a complete list of available devices and instructions refer the links given below. I have installed Kali NetHunter in Nexus 5x, though it is not officially in the list of supported devices. All thanks to XDA, where they provide detailed instructions for installing Kali NetHunter on this device. I will be providing detailed instructions in the upcoming posts.
Kali NetHunter Attacks and Features.
Following are some of the most popular features and attacks available in the Kali NetHunter application.
- Home Screen - General information panel, network interfaces and HID device status.
- Kali Chroot Manager - For chroot meta-package installations.
- Check App Update - For checking Kali NetHunter Android App updates.
- Kali Services - Start / stop various Chrooted services. Enable or disable them at boot time.
- Custom Commands - Add your own custom commands and functions to the launcher.
- MAC Changer - Change your Wi-Fi MAC address (only on certain devices)
- VNC Manager - Set up an instant VNC session with your Kali chroot.
- HID Attacks - Various HID attacks, Teensy style.
- DuckHunter HID - Rubber Ducky style HID attacks
- BadUSB MITM Attack - Man In The Middle Attack suite .
- MANA Wireless Toolkit - Setup a malicious Access Point at the click of a button.
- MITM Framework - Inject binary backdoors into downloaded executable on the fly.
- NMap Scan - Quick Nmap scanner interface.
- Metasploit Payload Generator - Generating Metasploit payloads on the fly.
- Searchsploit - Easy searching for exploits in the Exploit-DB.
3rd Party Android Applications (WIP).
These can be installed as separate apps. Some of them comes pre installed.
- NetHunter Terminal Application - Command line interface for accessing all tools and features of Kali NetHunter
- DriveDroid - app to boot PC from ISO/IMG files stored on phone.
- USB/Hackers Keyboard -Supports external USB Keyboard. Hackers Keyboard is a an inbuilt keyboard having several handy options.
- Shodan - search engine for Internet-connected devices, find vulnerable ones
- Router Keygen - free WPA/WEP key generator for several routers around the world.
- cSploit - Android network pen-testing suite.
Kali NetHunter 3.0
Kali NetHunter 3.0 is the updated version of Kali NetHunter. According to offensive security. it is the stable, commercial grade mobile penetration testing platform. It comes with many features like Android Application Rewrite, Android Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat support, New Build Scripts, Easier Integration for New Devices, comprehensive NetHunter Documentation and a Linux Root Toolkit Installer for easy installation into various devices. Currently the latest version available is 3.15.2.
This post is meant as an introduction to Kali NetHunter. Stay tuned for tutorials on installation, configuration and hacking tricks with Kali NetHunter.
Check out this post to know how to install Kali NetHunter in any device. How to Install Kali Nethunter on any Android Device